Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Older people & lifelong learning: Choices and experiences
[17 December 2002 - EurekaAlert] Learning is good for you not only if you are young and setting out on the career path but also if you are older and retired, says new research funded by the Economic and Social Research Council. To date, educational policy has tended to concentrate 'lifelong learning' programmes on younger people. This research, carried out within the ESRC's Growing Older Research Programme established that older people who are no longer learning to improve income or job prospects in fact benefit widely. It is apparent that, contrary to the old idea that 'you can't teach old dogs new tricks' many of them greatly enjoy learning and would welcome more informal learning routes.

What Do You Mean You Want to Take It Easy?
[16 December 2002 - Wall Street Journal - Ellen Graham] Today, retired for two years and with Social Security in sight, I actually wouldn't mind if a neighbor whispered some vocational advice in my ear. It's not that I lack for things to do. ... Inwardly, though, I'm as scattered and unfocused as a 16-year-old, and I suspect I'm not alone. ... I, for one, could use the services of a late-life guidance counselor. (Note: Full text of the Wall St. Journal is available, for a fee, at the above link.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home